Coaching for Technical Leaders
Coaching works when the coach knows the sport. Essilen Research specializes in coaching executives and leaders of technical teams. Because we're engineers ourselves.
Leadership is lonely. And getting honest feedback is a real challenge. There's nobody available to help a leader make goals and be held to account. That's where coaching makes can make a big difference.
Traditional talent development assumes that developing leaders is about offering classes and conferences. But that's rarely the right approach. A good coach gets on the field, observes and listens. Their objective is to get the most out of their players and the team.
Effective coaches must demonstrate two key attributes:
- Knowledge of their field. Will a business degree help understand a software leader's challenges? Would a baseball coach work on the chess team?
- Deep coaching skills built through practice. Coaching is all about listening and achieving a deep understanding. Only then can the coach add value. Those skills are acquired through years of practice in the real-world.
Essilen's coaches fill this need. We're engineering leaders. We have experience coaching tech leaders through every stage in their team's growth.
How does it work?
- Intro call. Coaching is match-making. We only accept coaching clients if we feel there's a great match for both of us.
- Start your coaching engagement. You and your coach will collaborate on your own personalized web-hosted plan. Click here for a sample.
- Your coach will perform your 360-feedback midway through your engagement.
- One price for a 6 month engagement.
Agustin Lebron, Executive Coach
Agustin Lebron's career has spanned engineering, quant trading, data science, having held key management positions in those industries. His approach to coaching centers around removing roadblocks to growth, both personal and professional.
He is also the author of the bestselling book The Laws Of Trading, where he shows how to apply the principles of good trading to improve everyone's decision-making.
Paul Johnson, Executive Coach
Paul Johnson is an executive coach with over a decade of experience creating extraordinary outcomes. Paul works exclusively with technology team leaders and has a track record of working with CTO's, VP's and directors of engineering. Prior to coaching Paul was a a senior director of engineering at Qualcomm leading a global team of hundreds of engineers.
In his professional career and his coaching, he has personally seen and coached clients through the unique challenges of small startups all the way to the complexities of navigating global, diverse teams in enterprise environments.
- Coaching C-level tech leaders through growth phases. Focus on strategy, vision and culture.
- Assisting VP/CTO level in organizational design of technical teams. Focus on reporting structure, roles, titles.
- Coaching VP/CTO level on performance management best practices, skills and systems.
- Coaching new tech managers on the skills required for effective people management.
- Coaching new directors on techniques required to lead larger teams.
- Coaching hiring managers on interviewing skills and systems.
- Coaching emerging leaders on vision, goal-setting, and career planning for themselves and the teams they lead.
- Coaching leaders on incorporating data science into their organizations